View Single Post
Old 27-02-16, 09:31
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Ws 62

I have owned a few 62 sets , a neat set .

All of the 62 sets I have seen here have a plate on them dated 1956 and PYE Victoria . I have always said that these sets found in Aust. are British sets that were rebuilt here by PYE . PYE had a factory in Melbourne and they designed their own radios .

Anyway, my friend VK5WT is adamant that these 62 sets were manufactured here from scratch in 1956 . This theory doesn't add up - why on earth would the Govt. spend a fortune on setting up dies and machinery to manufacture a , basically obsolete set ? The valves in the sets are British origin .

A common fault is the genemotor burns out, they designed a solid state power supply unit at some point in time. The CMF ( army reserve ) were still using 62 sets in the early 1960's . The set could tune onto the high end of the AM broadcast band and a CMF member told me they once caused havoc by using a frequency in the braodcast band by mistake .

I have the 1956 dated manual , showing the 62 set installation in WW2 Jeeps on issue to the Aust. army . Before they changed over to Land Rovers

Aussie disposals had the crystal cal units for 5 bucks . I had quite a few of the remote control units as well
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad