View Single Post
Old 29-11-19, 03:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aide Memoire View Post
I've done a bit of that already, including finding for example that 1RTRs Centurions after Korea went to a couple of other deployments and wound up in...FARELF stocks in Hong Kong. That's already very interesting given those cards from Bovington showing three Centurion transfers to "Can Bde" apparently from those stocks, and not as loaners either because they were 'struck off census' meaning no further British Army record-keeping would be done.
As I stated before, are you sure that the tanks were not being sent from Germany to Hong Kong as you don't even know any the details of the tanks held by the Canadian Brigade in Germany. Do you even know how many tanks 1 RTR had in Korea and what their specific Mod WD numbers are? Do you know how many tanks were being held in Hong Kong?

Quote:
Those are the only three transfers Bovington could find, but they also point (as mentioned in a previous post) that their records for the Centurion years in question are unfortunately quite spotty. In this case the transfers are just academic anyway, as the VRN range (and Bovington's own comments) make them older tanks 1948-1950...where the earliest hull stamp I can find on the Cornwallis tank is 1951, and the latest 1952.
So how many tanks do you have the data on or are you only working from one tank? Again, what details do you know about the Canadina tanks used in Germany?

Quote:
If anything, Bovington's info coupled with their spotty records for tanks in the target year range (and I suppose Harold Skaarup's photos) invite more questions than they answer. Did transfers take place outside of the contracts for new ones and some of the specialty versions acquired later? Seems so. I think Bovington's cards meet the litmus-test for 'original sources' so the precedent's at least there. Were any of those transfers of tanks that actually served with the British in Korea? Harder question...but the paper trail is there at least as far as 1RTR is concerned for the chances to be better than even.
What target year range did you check on? Yes, Bovington's cards do meet the litmus-test for original sources and they appear to be the only primary sources you have looked at. Why the reluctance to check a known Canadian Centurion MoD WD number with Bovington to see what they have? Again, I think you are making assumptions on the transfers. Also, what do you know about 1 RTR Centurions?

Quote:
Indeed. In the midst of all that now during our...4 hrs...of winter daylight. Cheers.
I eagerly await to hear about what you find.