View Single Post
Old 28-11-19, 12:52

Default Centurion Photographs - Some Advice

Thank you for posting these photographs into this discussion. I must advise you to be very cautious when doing your research from the internet as for example your date assumption in which the photographs were taken is incorrect. These are only two photographs of a vehicle type used by Canada for nearly three decades on two continents so in order to truly understand the topic of Centurions you must be able to effectively analyse an image in order to draw the correct conclusions.

The stages involved that must be followed in order to correctly answer the question about Canadian Centurions, their use and how they were recorded by DND are as follows:

Collection
Analysis
Synthesis
Reporting

Right now I see it that you are still 'Collecting' hoping that through luck you will find the answer you are seeking, an answer that may take hundreds of hours of research (books, archives, libraries) and may never be answered. By posting the images you can draw on the collective knowledge of this forum to answer your questions, but at the end of the day you won't learn anything as in effect everyone else will be doing the work for you. And ultimately, the conclusions provided by the forum may not be correct.

The questions you should have asked yourself when you found these images on a website and before posting them are numerous and should have started with; what was the provenance of the photographs and what information on these photographs was available from the source. Secondly you should have asked yourself what Mark of tank are they and at what time frame was that Mark used by the Canadian Army? To your credit you did check on the WD number but without a clear understanding of Canadian vehicle markings (another in-depth area of study in itself) you will not be able to correctly analyse what you are looking at in the photographs with respect to time-line.

I have to ask, do you at least own a copy of the Service Publications book by Don Dingwall on the Centurion Tank?

You have stumbled upon an attributed WD number to a Canadian Centurion so I must now also ask, other than seeking answers from this forum, what should be your next move?