View Single Post
Old 23-12-08, 14:28
Terry Warner

Default mis-history

Lord, save us from uninformed talking heads! This guy knows so little about Canadian history he is dangerous. His knowledge of Newfoundland military history is even worse. His only excuse is wearing an Air Force blue beret and not a black one. The trains on rail cars he mentions were US WWI vehicles shipped famously to Camp Borden.

This is an early WWII Marmon Harington that was brought to Newfoundland, which was still a British colony until 1949. There was a substantial US garrison on "The Rock", and this tank, plus others, would have been an element of the defences. There would have been no requirement to bring it on-strength post-war because Canada had a substantial army by then, and a tank marginally better than a Universal Carrier would have been pointless. However, in 1939, '40, '41 this would have been a passable local defence contribution to slow down any anticipated German attackers.

The Service Battalion he mentions recognized this was a prize when it was recovered 6 - 8 - 10 years ago. I personally recall answering questions from an earnest but overtasked 2Lt (or even OCdt). Whatever I passed on at the time has been forgotten or ignored. Best check my records .... and advise Maj R Long of his find. And maybe, to prepare his notes better before looking so uninformed.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!