Thread: How To: Ford CMP "Blitz" miscellany
View Single Post
Old 20-12-17, 01:58
VMVC

Default Magnet for dent removal

Hi Graeme,

You got me thinking with your suggestion and a re-visit to my first attempt. The reason the magnet pulls off easily is because the relatively thin steel tank doesn't have enough material for the magnet to hold onto ie mass.

I use a bit of 50mm x 50mm x 2mm angle as a keeper for the magnet and it requires me to tip it away from the magnet just to break the grip on it and it still requires a great deal of effort to pull the keeper off the magnet. And yes, early in the piece I got a good pinch by not keeping fingers clear as I attached the keeper after using it.

If I can get a piece of say, 10mm thick flat bar into the area behind the dent perhaps the extra steel there will allow the magnet to hold with more force.

Stay tuned until after Christmas. I am getting an inspection camera/scope from Santa so I will be able to see if it can be done. Last thing I want is a big chunk of steel left stuck in the tank however.

And Phil, I think my tanks are lead coated inside and out. When I stripped the paint years ago there was virtually no rust under the paint except where the tank's coating had been scratched.

Cheers,

Jacques Reed