View Single Post
Old 07-09-22, 00:31
VMVC

Default Ford CMP- Batt equipped instrument cluster wiring

Hi Hanno,

Just looking at your picture there should be a wire, 30A, a jump from the oil pressure gauge brass bus to the Temperature gauge brass bus to supply current to the Battery and Oil Pressure gauges when the ignition switch is thrown.
There should be wire, 30, from the ignition switch to the Temperature gauge brass bus to supply current to the Temperature and Fuel gauges and then to the other gauges via 30A.

The wire into the Battery indicator is my concern. If it shows voltage only when the ignition switch is thrown then it is wire 30 and can be connected to the brass bus at any gauge to supply them with current. Diagram shows the Temp gauge but any brass bus is the same electrically.

If for some reason that wire into the Battery indicator shows voltage continuously it could be coming directly from the Battery via the regulator and therefore your wiring is setup for an ammeter. If that is the case it could cause a serious problem to the wiring and gauges if the Battery indicator is sent to earth. A quick check will determine if that wire is "hot" only when the ignition switch is on and therefore set up for a Battery indicator.

I have found with numerous owners over the years and many jury rigged wires on these vehicles it is best to check and double check. My first truck had many disconnected wires and even house wiring used in some places!

Cheers

Jacques Reed