View Single Post
Old 06-09-22, 12:58
MLU Administrator

Default BATT meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Reed View Post
Just had a look again at the back of the Ford Cluster. I think the brass bridge between the ammeter and the Oil pressure gauge should not be there. That is used with a battery indicator type gauge to supply power to all the gauges when the ignition switch is thrown.
Thanks Jacques. I've always thought that my BATT meter did not do much, I now found it has a live feed (bridged to the oil pressure gauge), but no wire to ground - see photo. This makes me wonder why it was moving at all? Will add a ground wire and see how it behaves.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7907_redlined.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	129978

PS: the white terminal block will be removed. I noted this loose yellow & red wire dangling under the dash and it turned out to be live. Using the diagrams on here I found this is the feed to the inspection lamp socket. This socket was removed in the past to make way for a traffic indicator switch.

Quote:
Will have a look at the wiring again later today and make up a revised Ammeter equipped wiring diagram at the instrument panel using Mariano Paz's great information on the late war wiring plate.
Will look at that in detail later. I am trying to get a better understanding of my F15A's wiring, making it work better and meanwhile draft the specs for the new loom I want to order.

I may switch from the BATT to AMP meter, though I plan to use an electronic regulator. I've just replaced the indicator/ flasher relay by an electronic one, and it is a huge improvement because it uses far less power and it is independent of load. I am becoming a fan of modern electronics. I recently fitted an electronic distributor, quite an improvement so I plan to add more in an effort to improve drivability and reliability.