View Single Post
Old 24-01-21, 14:17
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
I assume these are two shots are of two different tanks. I can't pick up on any camo paint on the left one.

Chris S., I have the full mount for the early U.C. with the brass gear type base pulled down into place by the big spring. This has a 7/8" bore and so receives directly the "D" set aerial section.
I also have two other bases. One is brown rubber which Im guessing is the ground mount (and should have a ground spike bonded into it?) It has the same sized 7/8" bore.
Lastly, I have another in fibre. This has obviously fitted into a receiver of some sort with 3 screw holes around the bottom at 120 degrees, and a stepped smaller dia. at the very bottom. This one has a smaller 5/8" receiver hole for the aerial mast. I assume this takes an adapter for an even smaller dia. aerial?
Can you educate me on the latter two please? I don't think any of them are the exact same as the one shown on the VLT above. There is one on the VLT at the tank museum (Bovington)
OK, I'll have a go. <FX: puts research hat on>

The third picture (UC aerial and mount) is the final version of ZA.7833 Aerial Base No.1, described in the 1940 VAOS as: "Ebonite insulator; fitted with brass clamp and guide for aerial lead; mounted in magnesium alloy socket (toothed) fitted with M.S. chain; and 1 magnesium alloy ring (toothed); approx 7.3/4-in x 5.1/2-in x 5.1/2-in., overall; used on vehicles fitted with Masts, duralumin. Price (each) £1 12s. 0d.

----------------------------------

For Wireless Sets, No.1 the following bases are listed:

ZA.7540 Aerial Bases Mk.1 - Ebonite with brass socket and shield
ZA.7544 " Shields - rubber disc 6-in diameter x 1/8-in. thick. £0 0s. 4d.
ZA.7548 " Mk.I* - Ebonite, 4-in. dia., fitted with brass clamp and magnesium alloy socket. £0 17s. 0d.
ZA.7552 " " Spikes - M.S., 12-in. long x 1/2-in. dia., with flange and footplate welded on. £0 2s. 10d.
ZA.7560 " Mk.II Comprising G.M. serrated base; bracket; leaf spring and chain; and Wireless Set No.1, aerial base Mk.I or Mk.I*
ZA.7564 " Mk.III Comprising 2 toothed rings, 1 upper and 1 lower; 1 helical spring; and Wireless Set, No.1, aerial base Mk.I or Mk.I*

------------------------------

W.S. No.1 Complete Station lists:

No.1A (For use on the ground.) Aerial Base Mk.I or I* plus Spike.
No.1B (For use in Trucks, 8-cwt., 4-wheeled, wireless.) Aerial Base Mk.I or I* plus Spike, and Aerial Base Mk.III
No.1C (For use in light tank.) Aerial Base Mk.II

Mast sections: 5 each for ground and light tank, 10 for truck station.
Mast spokes: 5 each for ground and truck stations.
Mast clamps: 2 for truck station
Spoke clamps: 1 each for ground and truck stations.

Masts, duralumin were 7/8-in diameter and fitted Insulators, W.T. 'B'. They were made in 3-ft, 4-ft and 6-ft sections and superseded the 5/8-in 'electron' mast sections originally used with Wireless Set No.1 - I assume the aerial bases were modified to take 7/8-in sections at that point, or (more likely) Aerial Base Mks I - III were declared obsolete and replaced by Aerial Base No.1 for the Wireless Set No.11. (Along with Masts, Duralumin being replaced by Aerial Rods 'D' in copper-plated steel as an economy measure.)

The 34-ft Steel Vertical Aerial was a redesign of the Mast, Duralumin, considerably simplified for mass production - the stays were assembled with wire split-rings instead of 'S' hooks and 'D' shackles at the top and stamped metal stay-tighteners instead of the earlier wooden type at the bottom end.

'Electron' alloy (mostly magnesium) was used in incendiary bomb casings, and duralumin needed for aircraft in vast quantities, so neither would be readily available for aerial rods or mast sections.

Chris.