View Single Post
Old 06-07-18, 03:46
VMVC

Default Ford CMP cowl wiring- Australian cab

Good Day,

This is probably a question for the Australian members as it is about the wiring to the two headlights on those Ford CMP trucks with Australian cabs.

Just trying to nut out the wiring on the front cowl from a very ratty remnant of a cowl harness and upper terminal block. The Ford CMP Maintenance Manual does not cover the wiring from the dip switch to the Hi and Low beams of the two lights as used on these trucks so it is not the final word in this regard.

I have traced out the wiring as best I can with a multimeter and exposing some of the original colour wire. The wiring to the left side of the cowl seems pretty straightforward from the remnant. Looks like the left sidelight has about a 24" tail on it to connect to the harness as shown in last photo. A 24" tail on the right sidelight would nicely connect it to the single wire No. 6 shown in the photos. Likewise the tails on the right headlight, if the same length as those on the left side headlight, would connect nicely into the short tails at the terminal block. We all know how Henry liked to keep it simple and common.

The short tails on the Hi and Low beam terminals have me wondering if a double connector was used at those positions from the dip switch to the terminal block. It would also allow the right hand headlight to be plugged into them. See example on the low beam wire No.4. Not shown is the Hi beam indicator wire which I assume attaches to the terminal strip with an eye or could also be plugged into the back of a double adaptor with a bullet end if used? The other option would be to use an eye end to the Hi and Low beam terminals at the back side but I don't see any sign that ones were ever attached there.

I am also guessing that the power from the light switch goes to a terminal on the lower terminal strip and then to the dip switch input terminal.

Does anyone have an original dip switch to terminal block harness to compare, or have seen original double connectors used there?

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0160.JPG   IMG_0161.JPG   IMG_0146.JPG  

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 06-07-18 at 05:36.