Thread: C15A resto
View Single Post
Old 08-06-15, 09:40

well life moves on and the blitz sat fairly untouched for quite a while. Currently batching for six more weeks so giving it another go (amongst several hundred other projects).

Brakes are still binding a bit, so I intend to pull a couple of drums off and see what's going on (this threadf has the details- http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=22690). But talking to my uncle he reckons it always felt like they were binding even with them all in their non-working unconnected state. Driving it around a bit and feeling the drums it actually feels like only two are sticky (two warm, two cold)...

Anyway, that aside she's going OK. I managed to seal the water pump up - pulled it off and pulled it apart. Found a lot of flaky rust and one surface of the rubber seal in there had its work cut out sealing on the ultra rough surface. I did this a few months ago so can't remember exactly but I think I RTV siliconed the rubber to the rotor and the fibrous washer - which still seemed healthy and its corresponding sealing surface in the housing was good. Also bought a NOS thermostat and fitted a holden temp gauge. Put it all back together and the pump doesn't leak! Well only where I sealed it back on to the block have to redo that silicone but no worries there. Sits between 75-80*C, hopefully not much higher in the summer either...

Also fitted an alloy (yuck) tray that the scrappy was about to clean up so I can use it about the property a bit. It's very temporary but makes me feel better having a tray on it for the moment. Just need to top coat the floor, bolt it in then fit a seat! That's make driving it a much nicer experience. Then a muffler, battery box, TC selector and fuel tank, probably in that order. And the paint job I did on the cab frame has failed - tiny spots of rust have appeared from underneath the top coat (two coats of Wattle Killrust top coat over WKR grey primer after having sand blasted it). The thought of having to pull it off, strip it back and start again almost makes me want to give up, maybe I could get away with sanding the offending areas then priming and top coating? Just don't have the time for an 100% perfect paint job

Power is good (considering the sticky brakes) but it has a bit of a flat spot down low, motor was rebuilt (specs checked by a rebuilder) including the head so I'm assuming all that's good. Could it be timing? Might advance it a bit and see what happens. When accelerating for low revs in gear it almost dies then blows the (loose) air filter lid up against the nut then picks up...

Hmm can't work how to embed a video. Here's the link - not a great one and very short - turns out holding the phone and trying to do anything on the blitz is harder than I though... https://youtu.be/u6RTVliYIxA

Last edited by harrygrey382; 08-06-15 at 10:06.