Thread: C15A resto
View Single Post
Old 20-03-13, 20:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpearce View Post
Hi Harry in that photo the accelarator wasn't hooked up so I was using my left foot on the linkage end.
My blitz was a worker up till a year ago but now I have started to restore it a little closer to original as I am enjoying car club outings.
Mine still has the original unrestored engine although the carby is not standard.
Enjoy your blitz, I have a lot of fun with mine and have met a lot of people including vetrins, since I started driving it in parades in town.
Lovely looking truck, even your throttle set up would be better than what I've got - you have to lean over and use your hand on the carby... Non standard carby too, it's off a 202 holden but works well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
.... the maiden trip.....

Something about the wind in your face....

Don't despair 8 years is nothing......

Bob
yep, it's a good feeling. Yours looks very a comprehensive rebuild. What are the curved mud guard style supports for? Are they original? I don't remember them on mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganmain Tony View Post
Good on you Harry and welcome aboard!!!

You raise a couple of great points...

Good for you with the civilian colours. A lot of these trucks did more work in their civilian clothes than in their military service years so why not honour the massive contribution they had in civvy life?

Our heritage is not just confined to the war years. A lot of brave (or mad) blokes used Blitzes to snig logs, fight fires and cart just about anything you can name on the back of these old beasts... usually by working out legal load mass, then multiplying it by four.

The other point is you can get so caught up in a resto with all the details...you can potentially fall into the trap of never finishing it and worse...never driving it, or more to the point...never having fun with it as a truck on the road.

THANKS for posting, good luck with it, cant wait to see more pictures or even a bit of you tube film...
Thanks Tony, and I totally agree - I'm far more interested in their civilian use, which as you said often included some really perverse working conditions and loads for them. And I agree it's best just to get it moving and not get bogged in the details, certainly when you have a lot of other things going on anyway.

If I was attempting a full on perfect original military spec rebuild there is no way it'd be finished in my lifetime (I'm 28). Also, there a large number (comparatively) of seemingly perfect mil-spec rebuilds that are very impressive. But I love to see them in civilian get up and only know of one ever as a restored civil spec one. I do plan on rego-ing it eventually but for the moment it'll be a farm truck, but kept in good nick.

I am planning on doing a video of it, but I might try and sort out the rad and mounts first.