View Single Post
Old 29-04-10, 00:44

been busy lately seling my daily driver and shoping for a new older one, then i sold the 54 and the 53 , so it was quite the running around, and the weather was kind of crappy , but i still managed to get some stuff done, i took the box off the 52 and salvaged wath i wanted under and in it , and then i started stripping axles to get to some decent gears, the first set i took out of the 55 was a bit slim at one point but not as bad as the set i took out of the rear of the 52, the pinion is almost paper thin , i looked in the setting intruction in my shop manual and all they talked about was bering preload and no mention of any pinion depth or gear mesh partern, i then understood why my gear where in such poor state lol, then i took the shaft out of the front axle the joint are an interesting concept compare to a u-joint kind of a constant velocity birfield, then i got the gear out and finally i had a decent set even if the pinon was set a little far from the crown and there was 30 thousand of back lash in the set, so i took all the best part appart and cleaned them, the carrier is a pain to take appart but i am happy i did because i had a trust washer that was fubared,

also my girlfriend sanded down some spot where some sticker had been painted , if you can identifie the unit or sticker let me know

anyhow here are all the pics! enjoy!

unknown sticker, on the door

we also found all sort of paper work in the dash from dnd and the rangers