View Single Post
Old 09-04-10, 11:00
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Weld

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljboudreau View Post
thank for the flower's!!

actually i used the mig welder at a high voltage and slower wire speed to make sure i had good penetration, also since those frame are high in carbon i preheated to a cherry red before welding and kept it hot for a while before leting it cool down on its own slowly to prevent any stress in the steel, it is important not to over heat it as it can become brittle because of the carbon , the mig welder combined with the mix gold gas and some nozzle dip make for very clean welds, i also used the plasma quite a bit to remove some material to cut down on grinding time.

as for progress pics , the more nice wheater the more progress , i do need to build a garage..lol
Hi Paul.
I figured you for an old school stick welder..I was curious about the few splatter beads..as 7018 doesn't do that /..I thought mig at first and then picked the wrong door..
The fresh drill hole at the end of the crack before welding told me you were an old school guy that knew what you were doing...
Pre heating was definitely the right process..cast iron is done the same way..
Anyway ..maybe you can make a trip in JUNE up to the Ottawa area to BBB...Bob's Beer and BBQ..mentioned here on the forum..
great time and lots of fun..maybe scrounge up some parts and pieces.too..Once again..great job..keep the picture log going..
we all want to follow your project..