View Single Post
Old 03-02-10, 17:49

Default How do they do it....

I had a chance to chat with the rural tire shop near Hammond.....

....he tells me the Winter cold rubber will slide easier than a Summer hot tire when the beads are soft and sticky..... bead may be harder to fit properly especially with the big tubeless tires...... they use gasoline to soften the rubber bead...... he should know he makes a living changing large tractor tires on location in the field...Summer or Winter.... alone!!! Mind you he has the back and arms to prove it......

I did manage to get a 1/3 5 gal. bucket of the paste lubricant they use on larger tires...... he did not recommend the more liquid stuff usually intended for tubeless tires as it runs offs and is really intended to seal beads on tubeless tires.

The "stuff" I got is like a light colored grease that can be washed away with soappy water....... and contains some anti corrosive chemicals to protect rims.....very useful when doing farm tires filled with calcium chloride for weight..... and apparently very messy to use but works well..... I suspect as soon as I get both hands fully greasy my nose will hitch and willneed to pee!!!!

He also told me how to build a simple device to get the bead started.... which I will be building this weekend...... drawings, photos and measurements to follow as well as a report on our (anticipated) success..... no big muscle required...... why did we not think of that....!!

Grant/Rob..... first thing Saturday I am going to the metal shop to get material.......

Hang in there.

Boobee
Canada