View Single Post
Old 28-01-10, 04:13

Default tires

When i accumulated all my spares a few years back i had about 16 different 9x16 tires of all different makes and styles. military and civvy. i never saw any sign of machining on any of the rims.
I've mounted a full set of 9x16 Denmans myself and had a shop labor over the 10.50x16 Chevron's but in both cases it was by hand.
We just stuffed the tube and liners inside with baby powder spread liberally and the used some rubber lube assembly grease on the edges of the tires. (it was the lube used when assembling the brake cylinders)
We pulled the rims together a bit with the long studs(2) and put some pressure in to settle the tube and liner in place.
Let the air out and used a smooth ended stick to make sure the tube and liner was back in the tire by poking inwards from the center of the wheel.
Pulled the rims together with the nuts on the studs a little at a time checking regularly with the stick from time to time that the tubes are still in place. when it seemed as close as it could get without actually pinching the tire I hooked on the air pressure (remove the valve) and at between 60 and 90 PSI we had lift off when the tires blew out to the edge of the rim and were seated.
Some took a lot less pressure and a beating with a big rubber mallet helped but have a clear work area.
let the air out now that the tires are seated. undo all the nuts and pull the rim apart sticking progressively bigger blocks in to hold them apart. (this is how to change a tube if you have a hole in your tube later)
Make sure that the liner and tube are free and clear, put the halves back together and cross torque the nuts, fill with air and away you go.
if you have the Chevrons be aware of the direction of rotation and don't worry about the spare as no matter which direction you put it on the flat will be the other way!