View Single Post
Old 11-09-15, 00:05
C8AX Ambulance (NZ), UC1*

Default Kiwi experience for info...

Here in New Zealand, we are allowed to run our vehicles on public roads.
Our roads are either administered by the national roading authority, or by the local district councils. (I worked for one of the latter in Roading)

The only restrictions I have ever heard of was a limitation of 27 degrees celcius! The other one was about covering railway tracks when crossing so as not to affect the signal system!

Our experience is similar to those above. On chip sealed or Hotmix / Tarmacadam / Asphaltic Concrete surfaces, the carrier tracks scuff the oxidised surface off the exposed stone, leaving light grey track marks down the road, which soon disappear once rubber tyred traffic drives over them.

I have found it is rare for the tracks to dislodge sealing chip, as it should be embedded 2/3 of its height in bitumen binder. Multi axle truck and trailer units have a worse effect on roads when turning through tight radii such as roundabouts.

I have found the bigger issue is loss of traction on tight turns on smooth surfaces like hotmix or concrete, particularly with less experienced drivers.

Others have mentioned having an observer in every carrier, and a tail end charlie behind to ensure following drivers don't get mesmerised by the sight of the tracks turning and run up the rear! (Most of us don't have indicators or brake light fitted so rely on hand signals).

Rob