View Single Post
Old 09-04-06, 15:50
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: Re: Signs of Spring!

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
I DID meet and chat up an elderly gentleman in the local crafts and artists materials store a couple of days ago. He was 88 years old and looking and moving around great (WAY better than me) ... he said he was with the IRISH "FUSILLIERS" (spellling correct?) out of Vancouver and they were stationed in JAMAICA ... he said they were sent to Jamaica because there were a lot of German submarines there-abouts. He also did this great happy-memory laugh when he mentioned "I really WAS Irish by the end of the war." I think he really loved the parades and music ... you never know who that person next to you shopping is, or the amazing life histories.

Regards 44 Field Engineer Squadron ... I'll let you know asap if I come across anything but is there anything in particular you're interested in?

I remember about the SRD JUGS too

Karmen

Here's an opportunity to broaden your search Karmen. On May 1, 1914 the 107th East Kootenay Regment was raised in Cranbrook. The regiment sent two battalions, the 54th and the 225th to join the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the Great War. They won battle honours at Somme, Vimy, Ypres, and Passchendaele, just to name a few. The regiment was renamed the Kootenay Regiment on March 15, 1920 and was disbanded Dec. 14, 1936. You never know if you might find some memoribilia at one of the local flea markets.