View Single Post
Old 29-03-06, 22:10
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by cliff
yep all muscle tone etc is slowly being eaten away leaving me as weak as a kitten. Sometimes I have to use two hands just to try and hold a coffee cup. But hey that's life and I still have friends I can chat to

Cheers
Cliff

PS> I also seem to find heaps of folk all over the world that are worse off then me so why worry about me.
Ah, you are a stoic as well ... I know the muscle wasting thing. A few years ago when I was first hit hardest with the RA and such, I went down to 83 lbs and lost a major amount of muscle mass (normal weight 107) and was too tired to cross a room sometimes or do much at all. Scared everyone Thank god I'm way better shape now in some ways, although way worse in others : Keeping or even getting muscles toned is tough to accomplish when normal mobility is messed with, hey? Argh. I try to walk a little every day and figure that "if only I can build my muscles I'll be capable of a lot more again" ... more strength and energy ... as I know muscle tone can make a huge difference ... what motivates me best is the idea of losing more bits of physical independence ... yikes

I know so many out there with way worse problems to live with too ... and that makes me feel not so whiney about my progressions, but then again, we all grieve losing what we don't want to lose, especially when it comes to chronic pain and limitations... a little self-pity and whinging now and then is forgivable I should think.

IF ONLY my old impulses to doing what my old self could automatically do would just go away ... the mind forgets sometimes ... those are my hardest moments ... (I used to be pretty strong and flexible physically)

Aging ... only adds to it (will turn 52 in a couple of weeks)

So ... laugh and the world laughs with you ... it really is the best medicine hey?

Karmen.