View Single Post
Old 17-07-18, 07:17

Finished my rewiring job a week or two ago (well, almost – no high beam indicator circuit). In the end, gave up trying to duplicate the existing wiring, since it was in such rough shape, and just pulled it all out and rewired to the manual. I even went so far as to create a quick 3D model on CAD to get a guess at wire lengths (that's the brake circuit showing).

I've also added a couple of before and after shots:

It's still a little rat's nesty behind the dash, but maybe I'll get back in there some day to clean it up (but probably only if I have problems). Some other wires are a little long, so I may trim them back at some later date.

I made a few changes from the manual. I put in two regular tail lights. There's no sign of the small tail lights on my CMP, or the switch at the back for the differential light, so I didn't bother with them. I also wired up the switches so the side lights are on their own switch, without it lighting the tail lights, or the head lights lighting the side lights. Probably shouldn't have bothered with the brake isolation switch either, since I'll probably hit it accidentally a few times. I set up the inspection light socket, but didn't actually hook it up – don't think I really want a live socket up there.

I did buy a few little harnesses from MAC's. I got headlight harnesses, a cross harness for the tail lights, a Mercury harness for the instrument lights, and I also got a cowl light repair set to do the side lights. Unfortunately they are sold out of the high beam indicator harness, with no word of when they'll be back in stock.

The lights all seem to work as advertised (once I put in a new brake switch). The engine turns over and the horn works, but I haven't started it since the rewire for other reasons.

I bought my wire from Rhode Island Wiring – they seemed to have the biggest selection of colours. Also, most of the connectors. I crimped the ends, on the advice of a friend who does wiring on helicopters. He showed me a fancy crimper that crimps from four sides at one time, and serendipitously happened on a much cheaper version at an estate sale the following Saturday, when I went over to Buffalo NY to buy some 6 volt sealed beam headlights.

I'm a lot more comfortable now, having gotten rid of that old wiring.

John
Attached Thumbnails
cad.jpg   Solenoid old.jpg   Solenoid new.jpg   terminal block aft old.jpg   terminal block aft new.jpg