View Single Post
Old 14-05-22, 12:57

Default Foulkes Beechwwod Plaque

It is too bad that whoever wrote the text for the plaque was not very well informed about the Canadian Army and it appears that the research was based entirely on a Google search.

Click image for larger version

Name:	beechwood-foulkes.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	335.7 KB
ID:	128605

For instance the text states that, "AFTER UNIVERSITY, PROVING HIMSELF BY LEADING HIS DIVISION THROUGH THE NORMANDY CAMPAIGN..." This is all well an good but to the casual reader 'his' division means nothing and it should read "BY LEADING 2ND CANADIAN INFANTRY DIVISION THROUGH THE NORMANDY CAMPAIGN."

Further along the sentence reads, "AND IN NOVEMBER 1944, WAS PROMOTED TO GENERAL OFFICER COMMANDING OF I CANADIAN CORPS IN ITALY." General Officer Commanding is an appointment and not a rank, as Foulkes was already GOC of 2nd Canadian Infantry Division he would have been promoted from Major-General to Lieutenant-General when taking command of I Corps. Perhaps "WAS PROMOTED TO LIEUTENANT-GENERAL AND GIVEN COMMAND OF I CORPS IN ITALY." would been a more accurate statement?

The plaque also states, "IN 1951, HE BECAME THE FIRST-EVER CANADIAN TO BE APPOINTED CHAIRMAN OF THE CHIEFS OF STAFF,..." Technically this is correct, but again, the casual reader will have no clue what that position actually was and may mistake it for being Chair of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff. I am proposing that "IN 1951, HE WAS THE FIRST TO BE APPOINTED CHAIRMAN OF THE CANADIAN CHIEFS OF STAFF COMMITTEE,..." might be less ambiguous.

This is Canada, so perhaps there was some concern over the word count increasing the price of the plaque. I also wonder who proof-read the text before signing off on it?

Last edited by Ed Storey; 14-05-22 at 13:25. Reason: Correction