Thread: How To: Ford CMP "Blitz" miscellany
View Single Post
Old 31-05-15, 00:51
VMVC

Default Making an engine decal copy on an inkjet printer

After I got a couple of the stick on decals for the PCV system air cleaner I mentioned in the parts section I noted the extra thickness of them so I thought I would try to convert them to a thinner waterslide type by using my scanner and inkjet printer. After a few trial and errors I had reasonable success.

Lessons learnt:

Cut decal paper to 4 x 6 photo size and feed via the rear tray or dedicated photo feed. Saves wasting valuable large sheets of decal paper.

After scanning the original decal, use 4 x 6 photo paper similar to the decal paper to practice settings, colour adjustment, scaling etc. instead of wasting your valuable decal paper. When you are happy with everything you can print on decal paper.

Use white decal paper and not clear paper. The ink density is not high enough in an inklet printer to show on the black background of the PCV air filter. (scratch one clear sheet of decal paper). Carefully outline edges with a black waterproof marker then cut close to outline to hide any white.

Most important as stated on most websites on decal making is spray it with Krylon Crystal Clear or similar to seal the surface before using it. I let ink dry a day before spraying just to be sure. Otherwise the water soluble inkjet ink will run when you place it in water and you will have a mini sixties psychedelic poster!

If you have a laserjet printer then the above may not apply, but for those who do not, this is a good alternative.

The results are below. Original NOS on right, new waterslide decal on left.

PS: Supplier never answered my query regarding making other decals. Should have given him 1 out of 5 for communications on Ebay but I didn't. Just too nice a guy.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0252.jpg  

Jacques Reed