View Single Post
Old 06-04-06, 17:31
Son of Kangaroo Trooper

Default Shield against small arms fire

Hi Hanno,

Clive's photo are all unmarked but I think Clive may have stumbled onto some very important photos. When I first saw these yesterday I immediately thought of a notation I read in the 1CACR War Diaries about a prototype shield on a kangaroo.

On October 26, 1944. Kangaroo 2i/c Major Bingham went to 2 Tks Tp Workshop just outside Antwerp in Morstel to inspect a "2 ft high" shield on a kangaroo.

I also recall reading but couldn't find the actual reference before heading to work today the reason for the shield. The thought was protect the empouched men from SA fire. However it was rejected because it could just as easily deflect SA fire down into the turret ring.

If you look at Clive's other photo on the Ram Registry you'll see there is actually two Rams parked back to back. One Ram has this flimsy shield on the rear of the turret ring, The other (shown in Clives' other photo) has a much more robust and taller shield on the front of the turret ring.

I thought the photo I originally posted was more interesting as it showed some details of "place". I believe that the photos Clive found are of the kangaroo(s) at 2 Tk Tp Wksp. October-November 1944, but it would be nice to accurately place the scene to be sure.

Bill.