View Single Post
Old 30-06-22, 17:35

Default PL2A, Sender 8-pt Connector

After studying the damage caused to the MIC Terminal of the PL2A Connector for a while, I decided a full disassembly of the connector was not necessary and that the terminal itself could be repositioned correctly with a little patient TLC. The trick would be not to try and fix everything at once by just trying to bend the entire terminal back down to where it should be located.

I started by inserting a medium sized slotted screwdriver head into the gap in the terminal and locking the blade up against the base of the terminal, directly below the round head slotted screw. Then I gently bounced the lower terminal blade a number of times until it was lined up with the others in the lower row of the connector. This left an excessively wide gap in the terminal, which then needed to be closed up by getting the upper terminal blade lowered somehow.

I found a combination of pinching the terminals together with my fingers and alternating with a pair of adjustable pliers worked well. After a few such pinches, I would have to stop and repeat the screwdriver move on the lower blade of the terminal to keep it back where it should be, but after about 20 minutes work of alternating the pinching and lower blade adjustment, I had the MIC Terminal looking just like a couple of the other terminals on the connector with wider gaps.

The proof was in trying to reinsert the Sender back in the Carriers No. 4 and this time it went a lot more smoothly than it ever has before. Getting it installed is now comparable to installing the Receiver and the Supply Unit, so one more unexpected item has now been fixed with this 52-Set.

In the attached photo, you can see how much better the MIC Terminal lines up with the other in the PL2A 8-pt Connector.

David
Attached Thumbnails
PL2A, Sender 8-pt Connector 4.JPG