View Single Post
Old 30-11-20, 23:20

Today was the 76th anniversary of the battle of Broekhuizen and the day that Avalon was lost due to a mine explosion. I was in Broekhuizen today; no ceremonies, but to me it always feels special to be at a historic site on the original date....only 76 years later.

The weather was OK.....cold, damp, but definitely not as muddy as it was in 1944.

I took some pictures from the starting point of the attack on the Broekhuizen castle, which started at 10 o' clock, november 30th 1944.
The first picture with the path in the centre shows the approximate angle of attack.....The location of the castle is roughly on the right hand side of the wooded area on the horizon.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broekh16.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	117741

The 2nd picture is taken from the same position, but looking to the right, this was the starting point of the tanks. Machine guns were set up on the other side of the path (in the first picture) in the treeline. The view from the machine gun positions can bee seen in the 3rd picture. I wasn't able to spot any remains of foxholes or trenches.

Name:	Broekh17.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	117742 Click image for larger version

Name:	Broekh4.jpg
Size:	384.0 KB
ID:	117744

The 4th picture is approximately where Avalon was put out of action; the mine field was a rounded shape around the castle and the village of Broekhuizen....it crossed the street and the path and field in the picture.

Name:	Broekh15.jpg
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	117746

The 5th picture shows the wooded area close to the castle

Name:	Broekh14.jpg
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	117747

Last edited by Alex van de Wetering; 01-12-20 at 23:06. Reason: formatting