View Single Post
Old 05-07-05, 14:27

Hi Derek

Sorry for the late reply. If you mean in service Cdn LAVs then the best place to compare of Wheeled AFV's is here :http://www.sfu.ca/casr/101-0vehicles.htm

-AVGP was first. 6-wheeler. titles Husky (ARVL) w/ pintle MG, Grizzly (APC)w/ one-man turret w/ .50in and 7.62mm MGs, and Cougar (Gnry Trainer) with Brit Scorpion Turret.

-Bison was next. 8-wheeler. Bison LAV by title. Turned into a CP, Amb and Cgt Eng veh. All w/ 7.62mm MG on pintle mt. Initially intended for the reserve as a dvr trging veh but turned into a versatile multi-role LAV. Like Stuart said, the start of it all.

-Coyote was next. 8-wheeler with 2-man turret. 25mm chain gun and x2 MGs, MBGDs, Laser wng receiver, thermal etc etc etc. Best Surv kit in the world. Thermal Cam, Day Cam, Radar, and a Laser. Best tactics and trg to go along with it too. We did sell them to US, Australia, Saudi Arabia etc but not with the surv kit. They use them as cramped APCs or Scout vehs.

-LAVIII is the latest. She has no official title yet. "Kodiak" is a bogus name so far. 8-wheeler. Newer, bigger hull. Cat engined (all before were GM Diesels). Ramp for the dirties in the back. Carries 8, I think. Same turret as the Coyote.

The Leopard is not to be replaced by the Mobile Gun System or MGS. It's a small tank gun on a beefed-up LAV chassis. MGS will be a "Counter-Recce" vehicle. All Leos are withdrawn from the Regts except them filthy Strats out west and are being pooled at Wainwright till their life expires around 2010. The Infantry will have to then get the intimate heavy support from a co-alition partner from now on. Sorry ground-pounders. Try trg with a non-existent force here in Canada. We'll see. Like Dave said; A LAV Ain't a Tank no matter how big of a gun you put on it. It lacks the Armour to withstand that initial hit and then destroy the irritant. According to the words that came out of the US Commanders in the inial stages of the invasion of Iraq, the US forces learned not to lead with Scout Humvees or LAVs pretty darn quick.

I don't care as I'm Armd Recce and so is my whole Regt. Now all we need is more Coyotes!! Easy, huh. Take the vehicle away and change the units role. Wow, this Running the Country-shit is easy!!

Long story short is that shortly after I retire, Canada will have this:

as their "Heavy"!!:

regards
D