View Single Post
Old 30-06-05, 04:58
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Leopard tanks for tender in Canada

Quote:
Originally posted by rob love
When Canada bought the leopards back in 78, we paid around $1 million each, but when we bought a bunch for spare parts from the Germans about 4 years ago, the hulls were retained in lieu of the $10,000 deposit, so bid accordingly.
I was told by a R.C.D. sargeant that when Germany went to the Leopard II they offered us free many of the old Leopard I's that they had in surplus. We turned down the offer as we didn't have the facilities, maintenance personnel, or crew to operate the additional tanks. So now we're paying for the same tanks a few years later.
I'm looking at the paint on the tanks in the images from Crown Assets. They look a lot greener than I remember. Last Leopard I saw was at Armed Forces Day in C.F.B. Borden in '97 or '98. It was painted a very dark green and had a black maple leaf outlined in white on the sides of the turret. Maybe Zipperhead can shed some light on different colours and markings.
As an aside...any of you armour fans may be interested in some of the many pics I took while visiting the Israeli Armoured Corps museum near Jerusalem. This museum is one of the largest and most comprehensive collections in the world. It's astounding the number of Sherman variants the Israeli's created to meet their needs. I also have several pics of the Meirkava Mks I, II, and III. The pics are all in 35mm prints, but I can have them scanned if anyone is interested.