View Single Post
Old 02-11-17, 00:18

Thanks guys; your reactions are very much appreciated!

David; I agree....there must be a typo in one of the manuals, as the other 3 bearing numbers do match. They were thorough though as the index shows the same number.

Lynn; thanks for the explanation on the different bearings. At first I thought the quality of the wartime blocks was rather poor which meant line-boring or hand scraping was always necessary....which is why I couldn't figure out why "precision" bearings would also work. Silly me! . That was before I noticed the line-boring type bearings only come in one size....and "hand sraping" and "precision" bearings in several oversizes.

I now understand the benefit of the line-boring type bearings (at the time)....from what I have heard there is a lot of "meat" on these bearings, which means the supply line would only have to provide one set of bearings which could than be line-bored to the neccessary oversize.....in stead of supplying several bearings sets in several oversizes. But, of course the downside is extra labour and equipment to do the line-boring.

The problem I have found so far in finding bearings for my Chev is that a lot of the Ebay adds have incomplete or incorrect decriptions....often it's not clear what type of bearings is being offered (line boring, precision etc.) or sets are mismatched or incomplete. One set currently being offered as STD bearings display the same numbers that David posted earlier...which according to the Canadian manual would make them the lineboring type!
Same with a dealer in France.....a set marked "010" again uses the same numbers, which would again make them the "lineboring" type.....which nowadays seems to be a rather expensive procedure at the engine rebuilders.

Mike; Yes, I did read about some tractor restorers here in Holland that do re-babbiting themselves...however I wonder how these bearings would hold up? Maybe for a tractor it would be good enough....but for a fire-breathing CMP?

Alex