View Single Post
Old 31-07-21, 02:29

Default GMH document

Grant,

I'm not suggesting that an Aust made arm made it to central Canada, but that the mod was also adopted by Canada. My comments were based upon the details provided in a GMH document detailing the changes made to the CMP cab:

'The greatest difference was brought about by the Australian Army requiring horizontal opening windshield and that an inside lever be added to allow the windscreen to be fully opened from a sitting position. Consequently the levers of the Canadian type cab were completely redesigned to meet these requirements. It was noted that the Canadian cab was subsequently redesigned to allow windows to open further, but as our design was finalised, the Canadian alterations were not incorporated." and, under parts added at Army Request, no.5, 'A windshield blind shown on 262-29-18 was required to prevent reflection of light when windshield was open'.

Perhaps both Army's came to the same conclusion independently, but it seems the Aussies got there first - hence the term 'subsequently' (my bolding) in the quote above. The long arms to assist opening, mounted on the central pillar, don't appear to have been incorporated in the CDN mod, only Aust production. They are a scissor-type action with a different shape and action that replace the long slide arms as seen in your image.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Cecil; 31-07-21 at 03:02.