View Single Post
Old 28-09-20, 19:20

Thank you very much for the responses, Rob !

I'm new to these things and without a manual (usually working on farm tractors), we followed the fuel lines back and jumped to the conclusion that we were looking at a high pressure pump. Excuse our idiocy... lol

But I figured the air was some sort of governor set up, only being on the crane trucks.

When you say, turn the power off, is there a switch that needs to be turned on to engage the 1200 RPMs ? We have another M36 truck with the crane and we just start it and begin using the crane. Only used it a few times...

Curious what sort of fuel line you are using for suction side fuel line. The stuff my son got for us is quite expensive.

Appreciate the advice about the seized injectors and bent pushed rods. ... and I'm praying we aren't into removing heads. But we don't seem to have much fuel suction (if any) at all. Right now, we are running a new fuel suction line directly into a five gallon can. We replaced the lower fuel filter (filled it first) and it doesn't seem to be taking much out of it.

THere is a bit of white smoke coming out the exhaust when we turn it over, so we are probably getting some fuel.

F./

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
High pressure pump? I think you are talking about the governor, aren't you?

That is for the high idle, which you engage when the crane is in operation. It takes the engine to 1200 rpm unless you turn off the power, or shift the transmission out of N.

It is very likely that you have a seized injector, which is common on these trucks if they sit for a while. Pull the valve covers, and look for a bent pushrod.

Good news is you can usually disassemble the injector and clean it up with a plastic scrub-bud.

You can straighten the pushrod, but you will have to use an injector setting dial gauge and set it to the specification listed on the decal of your valve cover. Hopefully the decal is still there and readable, otherwise you have to do the full base circle timing, which involves removing the head(s). Or, you can cheat and just set the injector in the ballpark to what the others are set at.

The 8.2 was not a great engine. We had injectors seizing even when the trucks were being initially delivered.