View Single Post
Old 16-06-13, 23:40

Tommy, that's really interesting stuff, and great to see such close detail. I know there were several different types of trucks used in the LRDG and your photos support that, but if some of them were sent from NZ it is the first I have heard of it. If so, we might be able to build ours with a wooden deck which will be cheaper and quicker than building the steel ammo body.

We have based our vehicle on the batch of 200 30cwt 1533X2 trucks that were especially manufactured for the LRDG by Chev of Canada and (I believe) shipped directly from Canada to Egypt. Those trucks had the modifications listed in my earlier post, including the fuel tank and filler cap on the RHS side, checker-plate floors, flat dash, steel ammo bodies, wide front axles, wide front mudguards, star-shaped front hubs, a pto-driven air compressor for rapid tyre inflation, a creeper gear for unsticking and the cut-away grille and hip panels etc. So the confusion seems to have arisen because we are talking about different models of truck.

There are not many completed LRDG replica trucks worldwide. When we started our project we thought we were the first people in NZ to be building one of these trucks, but since then we have discovered that no fewer than five others already exist here and two more are under construction. We will soon have enough trucks for a patrol! The other builders have researched their projects very thoroughly, and it interesting to see that theirs all have the above-listed modifications and so are significantly different from your truck. That does not mean of course that your truck was not intended for LRDG use. I wish someone more knowledgeable than me would chime in here!