View Single Post
Old 15-06-13, 12:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Honeyfield View Post
Yes, I am very happy and want to thank you all again for being so helpful. I had previously spent a very long time trying to figure it out and you guys provided the answer very quickly. What a great forum!! The photos of Tommy's truck confirm what David, Lyn and others have said and I note in passing that the spring is attached to the underside of the cross member.

A small point about Tommy K's truck: It may be ex-NZ but almost certainly is not ex-LRDG, as none are known to have survived the war, except one earlier type in the Imperial War Museum. The truck shown appears to be the "India pattern" type of Chev and may have seen desert service as it has correct sand tyres but it has an un-cut grill and several other features that indicate it is not LRDG. But a great truck anyway!
Andrew

The truck shown in my photo was one of a number of these vehicle type modified by GM Holden Australia for the NZ forces in North Africa. Whilst in transit from the east coast of Australia to North Africa, it was decided that the vehicle was no longer required at it's intended destination. The NZ vehicles were therefore off loaded at Fremantle Port in Western Australia. As the truck never made it to North Africa, the 'in service' modifications you mention were never made.

Apparently the NZ vehicles were utilised around the Perth region by the Australian army for the remainder of the war until sold off as war surplus. The vehicle has a top coat of army green that has been hand/brush applied. I presume this would have been done by the Australian army as it covers up the vehicle number on the bonnet.

The farmer who owns the Chev stated that he purchased it directly from one of the disposal sales in the late 40's. It was here that he learnt of it's history. He also mentioned that there were other similar vehicles awaiting disposal. Although this truck did not see overseas service, it is a genuine ex NZ vehicle. This information was relayed to me by the farmer who purchased the vehicle. He is a very knowledgeable man and has a history of CMP acquisitions and preservation.

I have posted this photo taken of the vehicle number on the bonnet. The number is either '13855' or just '8355'. I can't tell if the mark in front of the 8 is a number 1 or just an anomaly in the paint application. The '1' appears to extend lower than the other numbers.

I am hoping that someone can confirm this number as being ex NZ.

Last edited by Stuart Kirkham; 15-06-13 at 15:08.