View Single Post
Old 13-06-13, 22:32

Default Some Engine Mount Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Honeyfield View Post
G’Day from NZ ,
Three of us here are creating replica of a 1942 LRDG Chev 1533X2 30cwt truck (the long-nosed kind with the “art deco” grille). Ours is based on a 1945 truck, which we assume was partly built in Australia as it has GMH stamped on some parts. We are having frustrating problems obtaining t... Both types from the US are made of steel with a vulcanised rubber pad inside.

...This is very strange, because if we use the new US engine mount as supplied, it will be a metal-to-metal connection and the rubber part will have no cushioning or damping effect at all. In the attached photos of our original mount, the red "male" piece fits inside the black "female" piece as shown...

I have searched the forum and seen a diagram in another post showing one kind of engine mount that has no rubber, but uses springs instead. However I am not sure whether that is suitable for our truck.

It would be great if someone could put us on the right track.
Hi Andrew

Finding CMP parts or Militarized Civilian Truck Parts is an interesting challenge as you well know. Don't know which US parts supplier you are dealing with but most if not all of them really are geared to dealing with cars and pickups.

The following is out of the Canadian Chevy Truck Parts Cataloque 1938-1951 it gives information on engine mounts parts # and which trucks they fit as a starting point.

Could you post a picture of where the mount bolts on to the transmission and the cross member that it sits on?

Is this the engine mount you found "I have searched the forum and seen a diagram in another post showing one kind of engine mount that has no rubber, but uses springs instead. However I am not sure whether that is suitable for our truck. "

The following is out of the Canadian Chevy Truck Parts Cataloque 1938-1951 it gives information on engine mounts parts # and which trucks they fit as a starting point. (I had to post this off MLU and link it to get it so you can read the part numbers.)

From the note at the end of mount section I would take it that they routinely replaced the rubber mounts in rough service with the spring units.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Phil

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ghlight=engine
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com