View Single Post
Old 13-06-13, 08:18

Default Chev engine mounts

G’Day from NZ ,
Three of us here are creating replica of a 1942 LRDG Chev 1533X2 30cwt truck (the long-nosed kind with the “art deco” grille). Ours is based on a 1945 truck, which we assume was partly built in Australia as it has GMH stamped on some parts. We are having frustrating problems obtaining the correct engine mounts and wonder if anyone in the forum can help. We ordered new engine mounts from a US supplier but when they arrived they were too big to fit between the bell-housing and chassis so we had to return them. We showed them photos of our old original mounts (see attached photos - they cannot be used as they are in poor condition) and they said they had never seen that type before and cannot supply them. Then they sent us another kind of engine mount that was smaller and did fit between the bell-housing and chassis. Both types from the US are made of steel with a vulcanised rubber pad inside.

However we cannot use the new US engine mount as there seems to be a deficiency in its design. It seems to us that engine mounts should include a “male” part that is attached to the chassis and which fits inside the “female” part that is attached to the bell-housing (as shown in the pic) with a rubber pad between them to cushion the vibrations. However no “male” part was supplied and on enquiring to the US supplier they don’t know what we are talking about. This is very strange, because if we use the new US engine mount as supplied, it will be a metal-to-metal connection and the rubber part will have no cushioning or damping effect at all. In the attached photos of our original mount, the red "male" piece fits inside the black "female" piece as shown.

So can you please tell me:

(1) Do Australian-assembled Chev trucks of that era have different engine mounts from US and/or Canadian trucks? Or maybe civilian trucks had different mounts from military trucks?
(2) Can anyone supply me with a photo or diagram of the correct engine mounts for our 1942 Chev truck? I cannot find a drawing even in an original service manual.

I have searched the forum and seen a diagram in another post showing one kind of engine mount that has no rubber, but uses springs instead. However I am not sure whether that is suitable for our truck.

It would be great if someone could put us on the right track.
Attached Thumbnails
Original engine mount (1) reduced.jpg   Original engine mount (2) reduced.jpg