View Single Post
Old 15-03-06, 06:28
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: Re: Canso

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
whether made in Canada or not
While we're on the subject of aircraft allow me to blow Canada's horn a little to show the extent of the aircraft industry by war's end. Starting in 1936 the aircraft industry in Canada went from building old fashioned wood and fabric bi-planes to modern metal, stressed skin monoplanes. By war's end companies such as Canadian Vickers, Noorduyn, Canadian Car and Foundry, Fairchild, Fleet, Ottawa Car, Boeing, National Steel Car, and Victory Aircraft had built such varied aircraft as (in no particular order) Northrop Delta, Grumman G-23 (Goblin), Gregor FDB-1, Maple Leaf Trainer II, Avro Anson, Bristol Bolingbroke, Noorduyn Norseman, Curtis Helldiver, Hawker Hurricane and Hurricat, Fairey Battle, Supermarine Stranraer, Handley Page Hampden, Consolidated PBY, Westland Lysander, Blackburn Shark, Avro Lancaster Mk X, de Havilland Mosquito, and Avro York.
I know I'm forgetting most of the trainers such as the Finch and the Chipmunk et al. Hope this incomplete list gives all an idea of the extent of the commitment Canada gave to ending WW II. All Canadians should be proud of our efforts!

CHIMO!