View Single Post
Old 15-07-04, 02:00
Dog Robber

Default It was not me!!!!!!!

Well, gentlemen, for starters I got a message that the site band width was exceeded for about 1.5 hours while trying to get on tonight. I have been a really good boy and have not posted any pictures for a couple of weeks. Must be some other cheeky types.

Let me start the serious part by saying that I know little to nothing about the mechanics of running/owning a web site. I assumed the site could absorb whatever the owner/members wanted to post was included in some "base cost" much like what I have with my ISP (AOL). I pay a monthly fee and I can post whatever I wish be it text or photos or streaming video.

Obviously, I am totally wrong and I apologize to GWB for any problems I may have caused (in the past, not this month) for not understanding how much bandwidth a site owner gets for "X" amount of money.

As I am given to understand that text is not that band width critical I will try to respond to some of the answers to my original posting.

1: I think I have posted 3-4 times asking GWB's opinion on whether or not we should proceed to work around the fringes of CMP and other Canadian sourced vehicles on this forum. I think I have been pretty honest personally in saying that I am interested in any American/Canadian origin vehicles whether sourced from those countries or locally assembled or whatever as that is my own personal field of interest. In other words, if it was in any way associated with the then current American/Canadian automotive industry I would like to see it, hear about it etc.

2: All of you know how sadly deficient I am in knowledge of how computers and software operate and I can only say that I continue to learn the best I can. Having said that, I think I have a lot to contribute as I have been involved in the research side of
military soft skin vehicles since around 1966 and became very good friends with the folk who started the spreading of information about the subject. Sadly, many of those friends are now gone but I still have a lot of original materiel that we shared now some 35 or so years ago up until about 12 years ago.

3: Regarding the band width problem, I hope to be able to share a lot of stuff I have collected over the past 35 years but not at the expense of crashing this site. At the same time, I am concerned that if I cannot post photos etc. on the site I will, for lack of a better explanation, lose the interest of other enthusiasts. What drives me in part to continue to post on this site is that I get access to a lot of otherwise not obtainable data and photos which in turn motivates me to post yet more photos to continue the, well, posting of yet more photos.

4. I have been told that I can set up a sort of photo gallery on some sort of off site location and I can then "refer" posters here to that gallery. If this is a viable alternative, someone please help me to do that.

5. To the responses of today:

David: Well the prices of the miniatures were a bit of a shock but the unpainted ones may do well. I had my on site staff review them and they were positive but saying that the unpainted figures had a better chance. Sad to say, rather a lot of the stuff from Canada was damaged.

GWB: Thanks for the tips. I will email you regarding support for the site.

Hanno: Your points were well taken as stated above. If you have some ideas as to how to host a photo site, please let me know more details.

Stellan: As my keyboard does not support the Swedish language I will not attempt to answer you in that language..
Suffice to say that I am fluent in all of the Nordic languages at least in terms of reading them and probably 80% in speaking them. Just to make you a bit jealous "{Groena Oergon} sorry, Green Eyes" somewhere in the wilds of Connecticut (USA) I have stored a Sugga from 1954. When I get my scanner going, I will email you some photos when I took my family down into the Baja
Peninsula in Mexico when I used the Sugga as a chase vehicle for our Volvo Baja Buggy which we sponsored in in 1972 and 1973.

As to the various Volvo/Scania vehicles you mentioned, I will do my best to scan and send images to you. This is perhaps a subject that should be dealt with outside of the CMP vehicles.

Let me close this particular post with the observation that of the more or less 100 message boards I belong to (subscribe to, what do we really do ?] this is the best in terms of the level of pure hard facts information. I cannot really tell all of you how much I enjoy the exchanges of info/pics/general friendship that I find here.

Tea time, and I do not mean tea. Scotch Whiskey is an aquired taste my American friends tell me and I got the taste when I lived in South America. Stellan will be very jealous, perhaps Nuyt and Hanno but I can buy a half gallon of pretty good Scotch here for about $US18. While on the subject, I am also a smoker and I have a deal with one of our local convenience stores/gas stations where I buy premium Camel Wide Gauge cigs for about $2.20 per pack or $22.00 per carton.

On the other hand, I have to pay for all of my medical care, have a lousy pension scheme and no state mandated annual holiday
Why I brought that subject up I am not sure. Perhaps because I have already had 2 of those marvelous Scottish Elixir drinks.
Cheers Bill