View Single Post
Old 18-09-08, 16:26
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Henson View Post
It (he?) says...

"Served with 9 Squadron 4 Division in France, Belgium and Holland till wounded by a mine."

Could he have been with them without actually being taken on service? If so, maybe the war diaries, which my brother has ordered, will help.

Thanks,
Helen
Hi Helen;

From what I've found, your father's Struck-off-Strength (from 10 CBRB) to the 9th Cdn Fd Sqn date of 10 Sep 44 is accurate. On approx 7 Sep 44, Lieutenant R.B.W. Pyke of the 9th Cdn Fd Sqn was wounded and evacuated, this is probably the officer casualty that your father replaced, there was not another officer casualty that required to be evacuated suffered by the 9th Cdn Fd Sqn until early on the morning of 14 Sep 44, by which time your father would have already have been with the Squadron. At this time (approx 7 to 10 Sep 44), 9th Cdn Fd Sqn were located in the area of Moerbrugge, Belgium, engaged in bridging the canal at this point (Moerbrugge). The 9th Cdn Fd Sqn had crossed into Belgium on the morning of 7 Sep 44. Why the entry of his Taken-on-Strength of 9th Cdn Fd Sqn says 'France', I have no idea, because the 9th Cdn Fd Sqn had been in Belgium (approx. 7 Sep 44) since before his SOS date from 10 CBRB of 10 Sep. You father did indeed serve in FRANCE, BELGIUM and HOLLAND (where he was wounded), but he served in France with 10th Canadian Base Reinforcement Battalion, No. 2 Canadian Base Reinforcement Group and in Belgium and Holland with 9th Canadian Field Squadron, R.C.E., 4th Canadian Armoured Division.

I'll do some more digging and let you know where 10 CBRB (and your father) where located from landing on 6 June to your father being sent forward to the 9 Fd Sqn, on approx 10 Sep 44. I know were they were from mid July onwards, but from 6 Jun to that point ... I'll have to look ...

Cheers