View Single Post
Old 26-11-05, 15:38
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally posted by chris vickery
Maybe we should throw all our government out and ask them to save us??? We're half way there already.
Naw, they have a bit to much on their plate right now anyways. How about we decentralize and reorg?

I agree with your comment ref the breakdown of states' rights vs federal rights, and it seems to me we could develop our own unique definition of same. They, of course, have 50 states, none of which dominate anything (by virtue of population, unlike Ontario), but they can do that because of their overall population base and related demographics. We can't break down into smaller units like that simply because there aren't enough people in any given province, with those we have mostly congregated in or around the larger cities. I firmly believe that new immigrants should have been spread across the length and breadth of this huge land rather than permitted to join urban ghettos. That might also have served to preserve what we [quaintly] now call our 'traditional' value system, which Trudeau effectively dismantled.

Every province has its own unique character, and should, I think, have been encouraged to evolve separately under a simple federal umbrella organization. Centralised government didn't, and doesn't, work for us, and inter-provincial squabbles and resentments have been the inevitable result.

If things don't change, I think we're screwed.