View Single Post
Old 31-10-19, 23:02

Hi Tony,

Thanks for that. I have seen Darians thread, about the 969 and LRT. Similar combination to what I am aiming at. Of note are the wheels on his LRT which look like low-loader 15" spider rims with a disc welded into them. That will get the center-of-gravity down a bit, but it sure looks under-shod.
Whereas mine, with 12.00x20 wheels is well and truly over-shod. I expect the original (I think) 10.50/11.00x18 tyres to be non-existent, except for some DUKW tyres that are a tiny 8 ply.
I suspect that the front tyres were 7.50x18, but am not sure. I expect to shod this with 7.50x18 wheels all around just because it is possible to get them, I hope.

I also watched the training film on youtube linked from, um . . , can't remember, about the cranes 7 1/2ton LRT. It briefly showed the clamp you mentioned and the chains tied down over the ramps. I have even found the stump of the tie-down bolt on mine.
I had a chuckle when watching the video as three men handled the ramps. They must have been very strong men as those ramps, the Australian ones at least, are very very heavy!

I'm still cutting up the grain bin, which is liberating lots of useful steel. But it is a slow job which has to be done as it is taking up space at a friend place.

Two other parts that have been removed from my LRT are the rear handbrake mechanism and the spare wheel carrier. Yes, I can see them in the pictures, but still lots of questions.

One more question for this post. The Cranes (=British) LRT is referred to as a 7 1/2ton, whereas the Australian one as an 8ton. Clearly, they are very different in the suspension. Does anyone have any period/official documentation to confirm that the Australian LRT is, indeed, rated at 8ton payload?

Anyway, have a nice day.

Sam.