View Single Post
Old 18-08-13, 01:23
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Not all the same

Hi Guys

As mentioned earlier I sought legal advice for my .30 Cal via my Lawyer to the SA Firearms Branch. The advice I received in writing, that I am OK in South Australia. However I should add that this is not the same case in every state of Australia as the law varies dramatically from state to state, as restorers will attest too when going to Corowa for the annual get together. The inference being that "If it looks like a gun, then it must be a gun".

A member of our club has decided to purchase a complete Resin .50 Cal from the USA from International Antique Weapons to mount on a pedestal on his Jeep. He sought advice from the SA Firearms Branch and was told they were not interested as it was a toy...!!! and he would not need a permit or register it as a replica. The only time police Firearms Branch would require to see and register a replica was if it had "Any moving parts". He also contacted Australian Customs and was told he could import it into SA without any problems as it was a toy. This was a bit of a surprise. However as I stated earlier, the legislation varies in every state of Australia. I would not dream of taking my .30 Cal outside of my state.

Cheers

Tony