View Single Post
Old 17-08-13, 21:07
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
WRT the airsoft, that is where the threshold of 366+ fps comes in. That is the speed that the firearms lab has determined can cause serious bodily harm, and is therefore legal to have without controls.

Re the transportation of replicas, note that the transportation requirements are actually greater for a replica than the requirements for a real gun. You can have a real rifle (non-restricted) in the front seat with you, the only requirement being that it is unloaded.
How then doe this make sense?

"Some airsoft guns, resembling with near precision an existing make and model of a firearm, are replica firearms and therefore prohibited devices."

It looks to me like airsoft is getting more and more into lifelike versions. Their website has wood and metal service rifles patterned exactly after things like Kar 98's, Stens and M1 carbines. But I also see that they have a page for Canada permitted items and these are not on it. It follows therefore that they are not legal here and the RCMP quote makes sense.

Sort of.

What is available in Canada are lifelike metal M-16's. So why is an airsoft M16 OK but not a Kar98?