View Single Post
Old 09-06-07, 23:44
Vets Dottir 2nd

Default Re: H 42084 Smith, Edward, Rifleman

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
63 years on ..... it is almost sunset here on the 8th of June.....

In Honour of H 42084 Smith, Edward, Rifleman
1st Battalion, The Royal Winnipeg Rifles, C.I.C.
8 June 1944

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them

Eddie, say hi to Harry for me.......

Hosti Acie Nominati
What can I say Mark? ... thank you for remembering Uncle Ed and saying something in here, and am sure he will say hi to Harry for you. June 8th is just another day to most people, but not to us. Yesterday Uncle Eddie was on my mind all day and I wore my poppy and T-shirt. I'd like you to know that you and your Dad were on my mind a lot yesterday as well. Somehow you and Uncle Eddie are a team in my mind and to remember Ed is usually to think of you almost in the same thought. I guess, in my mind, you are part of his story now for the large and involved part you've played in finding out about him and what happened, and all the help you've given to help me know and understand so much. The most important part, of course, is that you really care and really do honour him, which is what makes your part "something" as opposed to "just another bit of research that any old Joe Blo can do". It's meaningful and personal. I salute you for that Mark. But you must know that by now anyways ... right?

If Uncle Ed were here right now, yours is the first hand he would want to shake, and I imagine no words would be necessary to show you how he felt and thought. It means more when the honouring is coming from another soldier as soldiers know the signifigance of everything like no civi ever can ... even loving neices learning the story can't fully comprehend like another soldier can and does.

Here's one for you Mark, from Uncle Ed ...

And here's one to "Harry"

Karmen