Thread: Info needed: Rotisserie
View Single Post
Old 08-02-21, 03:04

Default Consider making your own.....and learn welding at the same time.

Hi Terry

Congrats on becoming a fully retired OD green addict.

I made my own rotisserie based on plans I purchased and then modified from a multitude of web sites.....to respect my abilities at fabricating and the tools I had at hand.

I will gladly show you what I have done and let you know some of the things I would do different. Currently holding up the 2/3 rear of a discarded C15a frame and a 2B1 cargo box being rebuilt..... probably over a metric ton.

The M151 would have either front bumper brackets or front suspension points sturdy enough to lift that body. Getting it started or located on the rotisserie is slow but once balanced she will spin by hand.
In fact on the web you will see numerous users of two engine stands and some welding and it seems to do the job.

You can build one cheaper than buying a good heavy one. Unfortunately steel prices are high and that reflects in the material whether you buy it fully done or partly assembled or make your own. I could not find one I could afford that was sturdy enough to tackle CMP heavy components.

Have you chatted with Stuart as I believe he has fabricated one. The overall weight and size of the M151 is ideal for such a projects. I am using mine and although bulky, I love it and would do it again.

I built mine entirely out of 2 in. and 2 1/2 in. and a few short section of 3 in. receiver tube now hard to find..... square trailer tubing with 1/4 in. wall thickness.....heavy, expensive but will not bend under load easily and is safe to use with CMP loads. We are currently busy cutting out panels and rewelding new steel and as I hate welding while laying on my back with sparks dropping in my shirt it is a worth while investment.....and all the work is done standing up at waist level.

As for storage well we can park it next to your skidoo trailer in the back field until my demise.

Take your time and surf the web for the multitude of designs some of which are a death trap. And when you are finished with it you can rent it, sell it or do another Mutt. Have look at what I have posted on MLU. Call me if you want to chat or visit and get an eye full. Some sites are very educational and will show you how to brace a bare body before removing key structural components.....a rusted convertible with the doors and top removed will fold in half or sag like an old mare if not properly braced. Most of my ready made parts came from Princess Auto when on sale or curb side pickup on garbage day. Neighbor donated four almost new Winter tires on rims when he cleaned up to move....short haul from across the street ...and they were 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern that fitted the PA stub axles perfectly. Other parts came from friendly trades and scrounging. ....some sand blasting for a 100:1 gear box screw drive which means we can spin the frame/box by means of a 1/2 in. ratchet.

Strangely enough I had installed a rubber spider U joint between the gear box and the rotating load tied to a stub axle...... and used a 1/2 air impact wrench.....first time I used it the wonderful u joint just cracked up and spit out the Allen key........ but PA is known for ease of returning defective( or abused) parts and simply trade up for a HD U joint and no longer use the 500 pound of torque from the air impact.

Hopefully we have a nice Summer a head of us if you chose to build we can help you out. You get to learn welding and the personal satisfaction of doing it.

Cheers
Canada