View Single Post
Old 01-02-07, 20:23
canadiansoldiers.com

Default Tactical Markings - Infantry, MG and Recce Battalions in Infantry Divisions

I've consulted Dingwall's CD of vehicle marking documents and I own Beldam's 3 volumes - also emailed Barry and asked him directly. Does anyone have any idea of where to go to research the Tactical markings of Second World War infantry battalions, machine gun battalions, and reconnaissance regiments (in infantry divisions)? I don't mean unit signs or divisional markings, but the true tac signs - the yellow diamonds with letters inside - M1, P12, A3, etc.

Surely there has to be at the very least someone out there with a hobby magazine article on the subject of British tac markings? I know there are several sources for the artillery ones and Joe Costello of rcsigs.ca provided me the ones for a signals unit. Would love to find out the infantry and recce ones. (While not my priority right now, would also be interested in RCASC, RCEME, Provost, RCAMC, etc. - Dingwall's documents do have the ones for RCOC units IIRC.)

Any help - even a partial listing - would be of value. There are some cartoons in the Toronto Scottish history "Carry On" that are the closest I've come to finding an actual reference but they really don't say much.

Thanks in advance.