View Single Post
Old 13-07-22, 12:31
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
If you take a look at the photo I posted earlier of the three Insulators (Post #893), you will likely notice the middle link looks fatter than the two outer ones in each assembly.

I noticed this when I took the photo but simply chalked it up to the lighting and angle at the time I took the photo. This morning, I was finishing cleaning up the assembly I had started and when doing so, noticed the middle link was indeed a lot thicker than the other two, so dug out my callipers to confirm.

Sure enough, in all the Insulator assemblies I have, the outer links averaged 0.320 inches thick while the middle ones averaged 0.394 inches. Otherwise, they are all dimensionally identical. So why the more robust middle link I wonder?

David
The centre link is made in two pieces (with a peg and socket for location) and glued (I assume) together as required. I think it would be difficult to make the actual chain any other way, given the extreme pressure and baking required to produce the plastic. It also reduces the number of components to two: a complete link and a half link will cover production of the one, two and three link insulators.

Best regards,
Chris.