View Single Post
Old 12-06-22, 19:22

Default BOXES, Tool, No. 1 WS Cdn No. 52 ZA/CAN 4727

I picked up this small tub of Glazing Compound the other day to be able to continue work on the Tool Box. From what I can determine from the three wooden boxes/cases forming part of the kit for the Wireless Set No. 52, the Cabinet Division of Canadian Marconi Company were using a product in 1944 called Glazing Putty to backfill the countersunk screw holes in these boxes/cases, prior to final assembly and painting. I can remember my Dad and Granddad using Glazing Putty in the 1950’s and 1960’s, when single pane glass replacements in a house were still common household practises and you could get small replacement glass panes cut at your local hardware store. From what I remember, the Glazing Putty back then was a soft, pale beige clay-like material sold in either pint or quart tins, and at one point even in heavy-duty clear plastic pouches. It had a smell of linseed oil about it and could be easily formed into pencil-sized strings one would press into the edges of the glass frame and shape off with your wet thumb into a nice 45-degree angle. The oil would be drawn into the wood of the window frame as the putty set up and you could then paint or stain over it with the oil based paints back in those days.

Seems that original putty has gone the way of the Dodo Bird today. A search for ‘glazing putty’ now turns up this stuff and all sorts of automotive body shop ‘bondo’. But I think this product will work out OK. Once any loose paint is removed from any of the countersunk holes on the toolbox, this product will fill and sand nicely. A new paint top coat and it should all look fine.

Getting this bit of work sorted out has also given me a chance to better understand how Canadian Marconi fabricated these boxes/cases back in 1944. There were definitely specific steps to be followed on the line. For example, all the countersunk holes had to be filled prior to any of the metal hardware being fitted to the exterior of the box, as some of the hardware overlaps these holes. I will post what I have figured out the line work was shortly.

This has also been an interesting exercise in clearing my head of all things ‘Sender’. I needed to step away from that part of the project to better understand what the issues with the Sender might, or might not be taking place.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Modern Glazing Putty.JPG