View Single Post
Old 03-05-22, 20:19

Default Master Oscillator Tuning Circuit

While rechecking the Pin 1 terminal on the underside of the V5A Socket, I had noticed the two rivets securing the retaining ring on the socket to the Sender chassis floor. There was something odd about that, so I decided to look up what the Illustrated Parts List had to say. It would be an easy item to find because the Holders (sockets) for the 813 and this particular 6V6G are the only Holders in the entire 52-Set that are made of porcelain (Steatite).

As expected, it was easily found but the one in my Sender was now clearly confirmed to be a replacement item as well during the 1966 Overhaul. The attached illustration from the 1948 Issue of the Parts List shows this Holder as being of the Ring Retained style, not the riveted retaining plate as per mine. So perhaps the originals were discontinued for some reason, or got too expensive by 1966.

The last photo in this Post is of the Plate after all the dirt and dust bunnies were cleaned off the inside face.

To reinstall this Plate, at least on a Canadian Sender with the Modification Card Holder fitted, the best way is to let gravity help you.

Turn the Sender onto its left side so the heavy side rail of the chassis is on your bench. Slip the end of the Plate with the two tabs carefully down behind the rail and tip the other end in towards the bottom of the chassis. Then press down gently on the long tab at this end until it slips past the partition it fastens to and push it home until you can see the screw holes in the partition holes. Use a small nail, or similar item to centre the two screw holes and install the two screws half way home. Flip the Sender to its right side to put the two chassis rail holed to the top, do the same centering trick and install these two screws carefully home. Make certain, however, that the left hand screw in Photo 1 of Post #854, just clears the chassis rail lip it near. if not, it will hang up on the lip and dig into your bench top when you least expect it. don't ask how I know. You can then tighten the other two all the way.

If you are lucky enough to have a UK Service 52-Set Sender, you will have much better control of the Plate with a finger in the hole intended for this purpose.

Next step will be a close look at what is going on with V7A, the 813, where some seriously high resistance results were showing up.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS No. 52 Sender 100.JPG   HOLDERS, Valve, Octal, Ring Retained.jpg   WS No. 52 Sender 101.JPG  

Last edited by David Dunlop; 21-05-22 at 15:30.