View Single Post
Old 27-04-22, 00:03

Default Frequency Counters

When I recently got the Simpson VTVM, the other half of the equipment ‘give away’ it came with was an older bench Frequency Counter rated to 80 MHz. I haven’t a clue if it will ever be useful in working on either the 19-Sets, or the 52-Set Project, but what the heck...it was free.

It is all solid state, probably late 60’s or 70’s in design, utilizing a probe to connect to the equipment being tested. Currently hunting for documentation to figure out how to use it. From the little reading I have done on these things, direct hookup between the counter and the item being checked would seem to be an advantage because of the ever growing amount of RF pollution these days.

Last weekends rain/snowstorm here, which finally said goodbye last night with a cm dusting of snow, halted 52-Set work. Water got into our basement with enough enthusiasm to get ahead of the sump pump. We had a 2-inch deep 9-foot diameter pool of water that just wicked onto two area rugs and a couple of floor mats before the pump evened the odds. 20 minutes of stability and the pump finally got ahead of the incoming water. Everything is about 90% dry again and back to normal, but we certainly didn’t need the excitement.

David