View Single Post
Old 04-04-22, 20:51

With the realization a couple of weeks ago that the next major step in restoring the Sender is going to be completion of the remaining tests, it also dawned on me a number of those tests require the set to be actively running in HIGH Power Mode. Initially I was thinking it was great I had purchased a second CPP-2 Power Supply from Brian Asbury a couple of years ago, as that gave me the ability to have enough amperage with the two running in parallel mode, to avoid any problems operating the 52-Set. Then last week, I realized I did not have a second set of output cables to hook up the second CPP-2 to my 12-Volt Distribution System. So I quickly emailed Brian to see if he still had any of these in stock. They were initially C42 Set items. He advised me he did not, but that he did have a Chorehorse connector that might work for me, and sent me a photo of it.

This cable arrived in the mail this morning. It is NOS, still with the factory original cotton twine holding it all together. See the first photo. When I finally saw this cable up close, it jogged my memory and off I went to search the Illustrated Parts List for the Wireless Set No. 52. What I found is the illustration in the second photo: Connectors, Twin, 5-ft, No. C1 ZA/CAN 4732.

Brian’s reference for this cable is: Connector, Twin, 6-ft ¾-inch, No. C1 ZA/CAN 9682.

I have found it is always a bit of a challenge trying to figure out how the measurements of many wireless cables are derived. When I put a sewing tape to this one, the loomed centre section is 55 inches long. From the end of the loom to the two lugs is another 5 inches. From the loom to the two clips is a further 15 inches. So both the 52-Set references and Brian’s could apply to this connector.

The ZA/CAN 4732 reference for the battery cable used with the ZE-12 Remote Supply in 1944 probably was used with the ZE-11 Remote Supply for the Wireless Set No. 9 Mk I that predates the 52-Set. My three wartime Chorehorse manuals and all my 19-Set and 52-Set Ground Installation manuals mention CONNECTORS, Twin, No. 53 ZA 2794 as the sole item used to hook up the 6 –Volt DC Chorehorse of the day to the Switchboards. This cable is listed as a 30-foot rubber covered item and its ZA-Number is very low.
So the mystery is whether or not ZA/CAN 4732 and ZA/CAN 9682 are one and the same cable? The latter ZA-Number suggests a post-war item; perhaps from the time 24-Volt Wireless Equipment was becoming common. Chorehorses by that time were largely 12-Volt Units. So maybe the wartime 52-Set cable was reintroduced with a new ZA-Number, based on the change in voltages in Chorehorses from 6 to 12 Volts.

In any event, I am thrilled to have this cable now, as it will truly be multifunctional with this project.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Connectors, Twin, No. C1 2.JPG   Connectors, Twin, 5-ft No. C1 1.jpg  

Last edited by David Dunlop; 05-04-22 at 03:48.