View Single Post
Old 21-03-22, 03:00
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
I did bounce some ideas around with a friend and came up with a simple, quick test I can do using available equipment....

The plan will be to feed 120 Volts AC into the two HT terminals and read the voltage output at the two LT terminals. It should be around the 1.5 Volts AC level if the windings in the Dynamotor are all in good working order.
David
Er... <Mode=HAL> I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid you can't do that. </Mode>

It's a _rotary_ transformer, which is a DC motor and DC generator sharing a common field winding. It only works in one direction, and then only when it's rotating at the designed speed.

To run it in reverse you would need to separate out the field windings and feed those with 12V DC, feed the output (high voltage) armature winding with high voltage DC (high enough to overcome brush and bearing friction), and measure the voltage across the LT brushes. This is simply not going to work.

If you have had the unit running without excessive current being drawn or smoke/sparks being generated, you can assume it's OK to use - at least for short transmissions.

Best regards,
Chris.