View Single Post
Old 06-02-22, 19:26

Default SUPPLY Unit ZA/CAN 4772

I realized after my last post that I had neglected to give much detail on how I actually removed the Blower Motor assembly from the Supply Unit, so best sort that out now.

The three mounting studs are located top left, top right and bottom dead centre and the hex nuts require an 11/32-inch spanner or small socket. Since there is not a lot of room inside the chassis to swing a spanner effectively, my tool of choice is a ¼-drive socket drive, which I use just to crack the hex nut loose. Once loose, I resort to just the socket with my bare fingers to back the hex nut to the end of the screw. I then use my fingers alone to remove the hex nut, keeping the lock washer well out of the way. With the hex nut out of the way, I then use a small slot head screwdriver to nudge the lock washer far enough down the screw shank to be able to grab the edge of it with a small pair of needle nose pliers and remove the lock washer. There is no lock washer on the mounting screw assembly in the upper right corner of the Blower Motor assembly. Electrical grounding braids terminate here on a large Shakeproof Tag, which serves as the lock washer. With the lock washers and Tag out of the way, the next item to be removed is a flat washer. It may stick a bit to the rubber grommet style shock mount behind it. If so, a small blade screwdriver will pop it loose and the same removal process as used for the lock washer works well.

I generally leave the three long mounting machine screws in place up to this point. As the hardware is loosened, the weight of the Blower Motor holds the screws in place quite nicely. I start with the lower mounting hardware, go to the upper right set and finally the upper left. While holding the Blower Motor with one hand, I remove the three screws in the same order. To remove the assembly, I moved it straight back into the chassis and swing it to the left as the fan shaft at the front of the motor clears the front panel. This will bring the Blower parallel to the inside of the front panel, with the fan shaft facing the large opening on the right side of the Supply Unit chassis. You can then angle the Blower down slightly as you bring it out the right side to ensure the Phenolic Panel assembly on the back of the blower clears the chassis upon removal.

Sorry I missed all this originally.

David